Often referred to as the “black art” because of its complexity and uncertainty, software estimation is not as difficult or puzzling as people think. In fact, generating accurate estimates is straightforward—once you understand the art of creating them. In his highly anticipated book, acclaimed author Steve McConnell unravels the mystery to successful software estimation—distilling academic information and real-world experience into a practical guide for working software professionals. Instead of arcane treatises and rigid modeling techniques, this guide highlights a proven set of procedures, understandable formulas, and heuristics that individuals and development teams can apply to their projects to help achieve estimation proficiency.
Discover how to:
- Estimate schedule and cost—or estimate the functionality that can be delivered within a given time frame
- Avoid common software estimation mistakes
- Learn estimation techniques for you, your team, and your organization * Estimate specific project activities—including development, management, and defect correction
- Apply estimation approaches to any type of project—small or large, agile or traditional
- Navigate the shark-infested political waters that surround project estimates
When many corporate software projects are failing, McConnell shows you what works for successful software estimation.