Images de page

north-western extremity of the group of Solomon's Islands, all of them surrounded by reefs of coral


From the 17th to the 24th of July, the frigates remained at anchor in Carteret Bay, New Ireland, where incessant torrents of rain prevented the navigators from making a single observation, either on the sun or stars. Keeping the track of Captain Carteret, through St. George's Channel, on the 29th of July they reached Vendola, one of the Admiralty Islands, which was supposed to be near to the spot where the depositions in M. de Saint-Felix's dispatches stated the traces of the ships of La Pérouse to have been seen. Observing some natives, a boat was sent on shore, and a friendly intercourse held with the natives for some days.

Having satisfied themselves that not the least trace of the ships or crew of La Pérouse was discoverable among the Admiralty Islands, they stood away for the Negro Islands of Morelle, which they observed to be covered with cocoa-nut trees. Numbers of canoes appeared on every side among the reefs and small islands, all seemingly employed in fishing. Some of them came off to the frigates, and were anxious to procure knives, nails, and iron of any kind, for which they offered in exchange different sorts of ornaments, arms, and shells. They appeared to be, in all respects, the same happy, cheerful, and contented people as those of the Admiralty Islands.

Passing Los Ermitanos, the Thousand Isles of Morelle, and numberless rocks and islands which appeared to be bound together by reefs of coral; they arrived on the 17th of August, on the coast of New Guinea. In sailing through Dampier's Straits, they observed a large proa bearing a flag; but the appearance of the two frigates excited no curiosity in the people on board, nor in those of the numerous craft that were seen passing and repassing on every side; a certain proof of their near approach to some European settlement. On the 5th of September they accordingly arrived at Amboyna. Having remained some time at this place to refit the frigates and refresh the crews, M. Dentrecasteaux, again set sail; and keeping along the west coast of New Holland, and doubling Cape Leween, or S. W. Cape, anchored on the 9th of December, in a bay, to which he gave the name of Espérance, after one of the frigates. This bay is within a cluster of islands to which Vancouver two years before had given the name of Termination Islands. Standing off at this point to the southward, Dentrecasteaux continued along the coast about nine degrees farther to the castward than Vancouver had done. Had he stood on a little farther, he would have effected the important discovery of Bass's Strait, which separates New Holland from Van Diemen's Land; the merit of which was reserved for a young man, surgeon of the Reliance, whose name it properly bears, and who in 1798, solicited a whale-boat of Governor Hunter at Port Jackson, to run down the coast and make observations. This discovery was made near six years after Dentrecasteaux conceived there might be such a passage, but had not the resolution to stand on and determine so important an object for the benefit of navigation in general.

In January, 1793, they again visited the Bay of Storms, and anchored in Port du Sud: they had now much intercourse with the natives, whom they found to be a mild, inoffensive, and good humoured people, without suspicion or distrust.

The frigates again came to anchor in Adventure Bay. Here they searched for the fruit-trees which had been planted by Captain Cook, and discovered some of them still in existence. They now steered a direct course for the Friendly Islands, where they arrived on the 23d of March, and brought the frigates to anchor at Tongataboo. The inhabitants of this island had a perfect recollection of the visits of Captain Cook, whose memory was held dear by many of them, especially by the family of Fatafé. Not the least vestige could be traced of any thing that had belonged to La Pérouse; no medals which he carried out with him, and of which they had exact copies; no trinkets, no French clothes, nor any thing belonging to their nation. They proceeded therefore to the north-westward, and on the 17th of April, came to anchor in the harbour of Balade, on the north-east extremity of New Caledonia, having passed the islands of Tanna, Annatom, and Erronun, three of the New Hebrides, without discovering any trace of the objects of their search. They took their leave of this effroyable peuple,' who had even forgotten Captain Cook, and gave no indications that Europeans had ever visited their coast, except by their avidity for iron; and on the 21st of May, the frigates came to anchor off the Isle of Santa Cruz: here they quarrelled with the natives, and shot one of them in an affray. On passing Solomon's Islands, their frigates were attacked by a number of light, well-constructed, and gailydecorated proas. The men in them were naked, but ornamented with plumes, bracelets, and necklaces of shells and mother-of-pearl. From hence, stretching along the northern coast of Louisiade, and the southeastern side of New Guinea, they passed the Straits of Dampier, along the north coast of New Britain.

M. Dentrecasteaux's health had for some time been on the decline, and the scurvy had found its way into the ship M. Huon, the commander of the Espérance, died before they left New Caledonia; their provisions were now becoming short; their wine turning sour; and every thing considered, it was deemed advisable to make the best of their way to the Island of Java. On the 8th of July, they made the coast of New Britain, and on the 20th of the same month M. Dentrecasteaux departed this life. The command now devolved upon M. D'Auribeau, who determined to execute the intentions of the ViceAdmiral, and make the best of his way to Java. Passing the Admiralty Islands a second time, and coasting New Guinea, they anchored for a few days at Boni, in the Island of Waigiou. Hence they stood for Cayeli, in the Island of Bouro, where they continued several days; but this being a Dutch settlement, and inhabited by Portuguese, Chinese, and Malays, offered nothing worthy notice. Directing their course through the Strait of Bouton, they arrived at Sourabaya, in the Island of Java, on the 27th of October, 1793, where they had the mortification of learning the unfortunate situation of their country,

the sanguinary proceedings of the revolutionists, the massacre of the king, and the war with England, in which the Dutch were likewise involved. In consequence of this intelligence, the voyage was here de clared to be at an end; the frigates were dismantled, and the officers and crews separated. Voyez Voyage de DENTRECASTEAUX, envoyé à la Recherche De la Pérouse redigé par M. de Rossel. 2 tom. avec un Atlas, à Paris, 1808.

In the year 1787, his Majesty's arm'd ship Bounty, under the command of Lieutenant William Bligh, sailed from England on a voyage to Otaheite. The object government had in view from this voyage was, to introduce the bread-fruit and other plants into the British colonies in the West Indies from Otaheite. The object of the voyage, so far as related to the collecting and getting a sufficient quantity of the said plants on board, being completed, the Bounty, after being on the most friendly terms with the natives of Otaheite, departed from that island with the fairest prospect of success; but in the prosecution of the voyage towards the West Indies, and in sight of the small high island of Toofoa, the westernmost of the Friendly Islands, a large portion of the crew, headed by a Mr. Christian, one of the master's mates, then acting as lieutenant, mutinied, and after gaining complete possession of the ship, without bloodshed, forced her commander and some others into the ship's launch, and put her adrift. Lieutenant Bligh and his companions, being in distress from the very scanty supply of provisions and water supplied them by the mutineers, shaped a course for the Island of Toofoa, where they arrived, and, with a hope of obtaining a supply of water and provisions, landed upon the island; but in this deplorable situation they were attacked by the natives and nearly overcome: they, however, made good their retreat to the launch, and | rocceded to sea with a most dreadful prospect, steering towards the coast of New Holland, where they arrived after a passage of six weeks, having in the course of that time from hunger and thirst, wet and cold by night, and a hot sun during the day, in an open boat only 22 feet long, endured the most unparalleled hardships: they passed through Endeavour Strait, which separates New Guinea from New Holland, and arrived, nearly exhausted with fatigue and hunger, at the principal Dutch settlement upon the island of Timor: here they experienced the most hospitable treatment, and after being in some measure recruited, proceeded on board a small vessel to Batavia; from thence they sailed in a Dutch vessel to Europe, and finally arrived in England; having from the very untoward circum. stance of the mutiny totally failed in that part of the object of the voyage, the introduction of the breadfruit plants into the West Indian colonies. They, however, in their passage to the coast of New Hol. land discovered a fine cluster of islands, to which, in honour of their commander they gave the name of 'Bligh.

His Majesty's ship Pandora, under the command of Captain Edwards, was dispatched from England, in the year 1790, to the South Seas, particularly to the island of Otaheite, in quest of the seamen who had mutinied, as before-mentioned, in the armed

ship Bounty. On the Pandora's arrival at Otaheite, and on their landing on that island, they fortunately found several of those concerned in the mutiny, who in consequence of a quarrel among themselves, had separated from the rest, deserted from the ship, and chosen to remain upon the island; they were taken on board the frigate, and secured.

The Pandora sailed from Otaheite, and in attempting the passage between New Holland and New Guinea, she was wrecked upon one of those dangerous reefs with which that passage abounds: some lives were lost, but the captain, the officers, and the remainder of the crew, with the mutineers, arrived in the boats that were fortunately saved at the principal settlement at Timor, and finally arrived in England in the year 1793, when several of the surviving mutineers, who were found to have been ringleaders, were executed at Portsmouth, agreeable to the sentence of a


The following relation was stated to have been transmitted officially to the Admiralty from Rio de Janeiro, in 1808, by Sir Sidney Smith:-" Captain Folgar, of the American ship Topaz, of Boston, relates, that, upon landing on Pitcairn's Island, in latitude 25° 2′ S. longitude 130° 0' W. he there found an Englishman of the name of Alexander Smith, the only person remaining of nine that escaped in his Majesty's late armed ship Bounty, Captain William Bligh.

"Smith relates, that after putting Captain Bligh in the boat, Christian the leader of the mutiny, took command of the ship and went to Otaheite, where great part of the crew left her, except Christian, Smith, and seven others, who each took wives, and six Otaheitean men servants, and shortly after arrived at the said island, where they run the ship on shore, and broke her up, in the year 1790.

"Smith gave to Captain Folgar a chronometer made by Kendall, which was taken from him by the governor of Juan Fernandez.”

The two circumstances stated in the above narrative, and on which the story must stand or fall, are the name of the mutineer, and the maker of the time-piece; both of which have been ascertained to be facts from what follows. Alexander Smith appears on the books of the Bounty thus: "Entered 7th Sept. 1787. Ab.-Born in London.-Aged 20. Run 28th April, 1789. One of the mutineers:' and it appears also that the Bounty was actually supplied with a time-piece made by Kendall.

In the year 1791, his Majesty's ship Providence, commanded by Captain William Bligh, and his Ma jesty's armed brig Assistant, commanded by Lieutenant Nathaniel Portlock, sailed from England for the South Seas; the object of the voyage, as well as discovery, was to make a second attempt towards the introduction of that valuable bread kind the bread-fruit into our West Indian colonies from Otaheite. In the prosecution of the voyage, they visited the Cape de Verd islands, where they replenished their stock of water and fresh provisions.

They next visited the Cape of Good Hope and Van Diemen's Land, and arrived at Otaheite, where they found a part of the crew of the merchant ship Matilda, who had been employed upon a whaling expedition. This ship had been wrecked upon a small

island to the south-east of Otaheite, to which place the men had made their passage, after experiencing much hardship in the boats belonging to their ship that were fortunately saved from the wreck, and were very kindly received and treated by the natives; they were taken on board the Providence and Assistant for a passage to England: the residue of the crew, after arriving at Otaheite, and previous to the arrival of the Providence and Assistant, had sailed from that island under the direction of a Mr. Campbell, one of the mates of the Matilda, and an officer upon the half-pay list of his Majesty's marine forces, in one of the ship's whale-boats to the British settlement at New South Wales, as well to give information respecting the loss of the ship, as to apply for the means of removing their shipmates from the island; but there is sufficient reason for believing that, in the execution of this hazardous project, the boat and every one on board of her were lost, as they have not been heard of to this day. The king's ships, the Providence and Assistant, were received at Otaheite in the most friendly manner, the crews supplied with refreshments, and a large collection of the bread-fruit and other plants were received on board. Previous to their departure, they witnessed the barbarous ceremony of a human sacrifice being offered to the Otaheitean deities. Sailing from thence, they passed through a number of isles, particularly a cluster discovered by Lieutenant (now Captain) Bligh, when in the launch, on his passage from Toofoa to Timor, in a before-mentioned voyage.

They proceeded to the dangerous reefs in the Straits between New Holland and New Guinea, when the Assistant, in the act of leading a-head of the Providence, in this intricate navigation, was suddenly attacked by the natives in their canoes with bows and arrows, from a small island bordering upon the straits; a short but desperate conflict ensued, in which the canoes were beaten off with a serious loss on their part; and three, out of a complement of twenty-seven, being severely wounded on board the Assistant, one of whom, with a poisoned arrow, was wounded, and died soon afterwards under the most excruciating agonies. After much peril, they made their passage through the straits, and arrived at Timor, where they received from the governor and inhabitants of the principal Dutch settlement on that island, the most hospitable treatment.

Departing hence, they visited the Island of St. Helena, where, in the charge of Governor Brook, they deposited a portion of the bread-fruit and other plants. They then proceeded to the West Indies, visited the Island of St. Vincent, where, in his Majesty's botanical garden, and in the charge of the king's botanist, Mr. Anderson, they deposited a large portion of the bread-fruit and other plants. Proceeding thence to Jamaica, they there landed the remainder, which were distributed to the principal estates in the island. They sailed from Jamaica, and, after having in the most complete manner accomplished the object of the voyage, arrived in the River Thames in August, 1793, after being absent from England two years.

Captain George Vancouver and Lieutenant William Robert Broughton, the former commanding the

Discovery sloop of war, and the latter the armed tender Chatham, sailed on the 1st of April, 1791, from Falmouth, upon a voyage of discovery, which was undertaken by his Majesty's command, principally with a view to ascertain the existence of any navigable communication between the North Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans; and also carefully to examine and survey the north-west coast of America.

After having made some judicious remarks on crossing the equator, Captain Vancouver, in compliance with the instructions he had received, proceeded to make an accurate survey of the coast of New Holland, comprehending an extent of 110 leagues, which gives us a more correct idea of it than we had before seen, and entirely overthrows an opinion of Dampier, who considered the whole of the western part of that country as consisting of a cluster of islands.

Having accomplished this object they proceeded to the northward, and soon after mid-day, on the 17th of April, 1792, they discovered the coast of New Albion, on which a surf broke with great violence. The shore appeared straight and unbroken, of a moderate height, with mountainous land behind, chiefly covered with stately forest trees. Having proceeded along the coast to the northward, ranging as near it as was possible, they continued to explore its various windings, until they arrived at those regions, where the imagination of closet philosophers, since the days of John de Fuca, the Greek pilot, in 1592, has expatiated with a luxuriancy worthy of the relations of the Arabian Sinbad.

Captain Vancouver, on leaving the solitary regions he had so minutely explored, by his own perseverance, assisted by the unwearied diligence of Messrs. Broughton, Mudge, Puget, Whidbey, Johnstone, and other officers, thus concludes his survey of the north-west continental shore of America, in 1792 :—

"Having the greatest reason to be satisfied with the result of our summer's employment, as it had, by the concurrence of the most fortunate circum. stances, enabled us finally to trace and determine the western continental shore of North America, with all its various turnings, windings, numerous arms, inlets, creeks, bays, &c. from the latitude of 39o 5', longitude 236° 36', to Point Menzies, in latitude 52° 18', longitude 232° 55'; we took our leave of these northern solitary regions, whose broken appearance presented a prospect of abundant cmployment for the ensuing season, and directed our route through Calvert's Islands, in order to make the best of our way towards Nootka."

On Captain Vancouver's arrival at Nootka, he sent home Lieutenant Broughton, with dispatches of what had been done since their departure from England. Captain Vancouver again visited the two Spanish settlements in New Albion, and proceeded to examine Columbia river; thence steered for the Sandwich Islands, where he anxiously endeavoured to promote a humane and friendly intercourse be... tween the monarchs of Owhyhee and Mowee, in order that the natives might live in peace with each other, return to their habitations, and to their former employments of cultivating the land, and other peace

ful arts.

This he did with much success during the winter months he remained there from his survey northward.

On the return of spring 1793, Captain Vancouver again procceded to the north; touched at Nootka, and on the 26th of May arrived at Fitzhugh's Sound; and recommenced the survey of the preceding year with great diligence and incredible fatigue. In a channel only a mile in width, they traversed repeatedly from shore to shore without finding bottom with 185 fathoms of line, though within half a cable's length of the rocks. The survey of the branches of various inlets continued to be performed in boats detached in different directions. Captain Vancouver at one time was absent on this perilous service twentythree days; during which, from their outset to their return, he traversed in an open boat above 700 geographical miles; but without having advanced his primary object, of tracing the continental boun. dary more than twenty leagues from the station of the vessels. The limits of this survey of the American coast appear to be from Fitzhugh's Sound to Cape Decision, and from Monterry to the southern extent of their intended investigation, which was finished on the 14th of December in the same year.

Captain Vancouver regrets, that he had not with him one or two vessels of 30 or 40 tons burden, calculated as well for rowing as for sailing, to assist him in the unremitting investigation he was obliged to pursue; as by these means much dispatch would have been given to the survey, and their labours would have been carried on with much less danger and hardship than they now constantly endured.

On the 228 of December, at a considerable distance from the tracks of former navigators, they discovered an island, named Oparo, in the latitude of 27° 36', and, by their lunar observations of the two preceding days, reduced to its centre by the chronometer, in longitude 215° 58′ 28", the mean of the variation was 5° 40′ eastwardly. Its principal character was a cluster of high craggy mountains, forming in several places most romantic pinnacles, with perpendicular cliffs, nearly from their summits to

the sea.

Our navigators again visited the Sandwich Islands for the winter months, and at the Island of Owhy hce met with that hospitality and liberal treatment which would do honour to more polished nations; they saw the character of those islanders in a more favourable light than had generally been conceived since the death of Captain Cook.

They next proceeded up what had been termed Cook's River, and discovered its final termination, when Captain Vancouver found it to be only an inlet, the northern extent of which was ascertained to be in latitude 61° 29', longitude 211 17': he adds, "Thus terminated this very extensive opening on the coast of North America; to which, had the great discoverer of it, whose name it bears, dedicated one day more to i's further examination, he would have spared the theoretical navigators who have followed him in their closets, the task of ingeniously ascribing to this arm of the ocean a channel, through which a north-west passage, existing according to their doctrines, might ultimately be discovered."

[ocr errors][merged small][merged small]

On quitting Prince William's Sound, in June 1794, Captain Vancouver makes some interesting remarks relative to some errors that had crept into Captain Cook's last voyage. The reader will be struck with that passage where he speaks with so much feeling of Captain Cook's not living to superintend the last publication of his labours; as Vancouver himself died before the third volume of his own voyage was printed off.

Captain Vancouver now proceeded to Cross Sound, where he anchored: thence sailed to the southward along the exterior coast of King George the Third's Archipelago, and completed the survey of the continental shores of North-west America, on the 22d of August, 1794.

After visiting St. Jago, the capital of Chili, they doubled Cape Horn, and searched in vain for Isla Grande, which had been mentioned by former navigators, and laid down in some charts as being in the South Atlantic Ocean, nearly parallel with Cape Blanco.

Captain Vancouver then proceeded to St. Helena ; and, on his return to England, joined the convoy of Dutch prizes under the protection of the Sceptre, Captain Essington, who had sailed from St. Helena on the very day the Discovery and Chatham arrived there. They anchored in the Shannon in perfect safety on the 13th of September, 1795; and in the Thames on the 20th of October following, after an absence of 4 years and 6 months.

The late indefatigable Captain Cook, had already shewn that a southern continent did not exist, and had ascertained the important fact of the near approxi mation of the northern shores of Asia to those of America. To those great discoveries the exertions of Captain Vancouver have added a complete certainty, that within the limits of his researches on the continental shore of North-west America, no internal sea, or other navigable communication whatever exists, uniting the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.

Captain James Colnett was nominated by the Board of Admiralty at the close of the year 1792, to undertake a voyage to the South Atlantic, and round Cape Horn into the Pacific Ocean, in consequence of a memorial from the merchants in the city of London, concerned in the South Sea Fisheries, for the purpose of extending the Spermaceti Whale Fisheries and other objects of commerce, by ascertaining the ports, bays, harbours, and anchoring places in certain islands and coasts in those seas, at which the ships of the British merchants might be refitted.

Captain Colnett had sailed with Captain Cook, as a midshipman on board the Resolution; and afterwards, while a licutenant, had been engaged in various commercial undertakings on the north-west coast of America, where he had examined that coast from 36 to 60° north, surveyed several bays, harbours, and creeks, and discovered many inlets, particularly between 50° and 53° north. He had

also made two voyages to China, and was deemed a very proper person by all parties for this under. taking.

Captain Colnett left Yarmouth Roads in the Rattler sloop of 374 tons burden, with a crew of only 17 officers and seamen, 3 landmen, and 5 boys, to work a ship, which in his Majesty's service had a complement of 130 men. Amid the snow and blowing weather he had to contend with at that season of the year, on leaving the Chops of the Channel, the Captain observes, the Marine Barometer was of the greatest service, as it warned him against making sail when there was an appearance only of moderate weather, and to shorten sail on the approach of foul tempestuous weather. They touched at Rio Janeiro on their way out, and at day light on the 13th of April, they saw the Isle of Diego Ramieres, bearing N. by E. three or four leagues. Captain Colnett makes them by observations corrected, in longitude 68° 58′ west, and in latitude 56° 30′ south; appearing to lie in an east and west direction; and makes the following remarks on the navigation round Cape Horn:-"That the beginning of winter, or even winter itself, with moon-light nights, is the best season; for then the winds begin to vary to the eastward, as has often been observed at the Falkland Isles." He recommends commanders of vessels to keep near the coast of Staten Island, and Terra del Fuego, because the winds are more variable in with the shore, than at a long offing. The common course is by keeping between Falkland Isles and the Main, and through the Straits Le Maire, which not only lengthens their distance, but subjects them to a heavy and irregular sea, occasioned by the current and tides in that channel, which may be avoided by passing to the eastward.

He also observes, that there is no necessity for going to 60° south, as most navigators do, only to 57° 30', so as to give the Isle of Diego Ramieres a good birth, or if winds and weather would permit, make it, for a fresh departure, especially if one has not been taken at Cape St. John, Staten Land, or the east end of Falkland Isles. Staten Land is well situated as a place of rendezvous, both for men of war and merchant-ships, and contains plenty of wood and water; while the harbours on the north and south sides, which are divided by a small neck, would answer the purpose of ships bound out, or home. But the north side offers the best place for any establishment for carrying on the black whale fisheries to wards the south pole; and it is one of the easiest landfalls a sailor can make.

The buccaniers of America have asserted, and Lord Anson seems to confirm their opinion, that there was no reason to apprehend danger on the coast of Mexico, from the middle of October till May; but Captain Colnett thinks the middle of January too early to expect good weather, as he found to the southward of Cape Corientes, and to the northward of Cape St. Lucas, that the thunder, lightning, and heavy rains, had not subsided at the beginning of November; and that the Spaniards themselves never leave the port of St. Blas for Acapulco till the latter end of that month, when the north winds set in, and blow steadily.

[ocr errors]

In the beginning of February, 1794, the Rattler

came to anchor in the Gulf of Panama, and moored in the bay of Port de Dames in 19 fathoms, before the island of Quibo, latitude by observation 7° 27' north, and longitude 82° 10' west, and remained here till the 17th. The Captain represents Quibo as the most commodious place for cruisers, of any he had seen in these seas, as all parts of it furnish plenty of provisions, wood, and water, and a vessel may lie so near the shore as to take off her water; but the time of anchoring must be considered, as the flats run off. a long way, and it is possible to be deceived in the distance. The time of high-water at full and change, by his observations, was at half-past three o'clock. The flood comes from the north, and returns the same way, flowing seven hours and ebbing five; and the perpendicular rise of the tide is about two fathoms. Captain Colnett thinks it would not be advisable for armed vessels to anchor far in, as the wind throughout the day blows fresh from the eastward, and right on shore; so that an enemy would have a very great advantage over ships in such a situation: he also states, that there is good anchorage throughout the bay, at five or six miles distance, in 33 and 35 fathoms, with a mud bottom and firm holding ground.

Captain Colnett quitted Quibo on the 18th, and cruised between the Isle of Quicara and Cape Ma riatto, till the last day of February; during this time the winds were light, and mostly southerly in the day, and sometimes a stiff breeze from north-east in the night. As the sun drew near the equator, and long calms were expected, it became necessary to steer for the Gallipagos Isles, to procure salt, for the purpose of salting seal-skins, at the islands of St. Felix and St. Ambrose, in latitude 26° 15' south, having failed in the whaling business. Accordingly, on the 1st of March, he determined to steer to the southward, in a direct line for the isles. As they sailed up the coast of Chili and Peru from latitude 38° south, during April, May, and June, they had no occasion to take in a reef from the strength of the wind, while the barometer stood mostly at 29.9, and the thermometer at 60, rising gradually till in lati tude 1° 30' south, until it reached 72, but in the evenings it was generally below summer heat in England. Captain Colnett tried the currents on this coast several times, and found them very irregular, sometimes setting one way, and sometimes another, generally from half a mile, to two miles an hour. Soundings were also tried for in many places, at the distance of five or six leagues from the shore, but they could not obtain any bottom with 150 fathoms of line. During the whole of their passage down the coast of Chili in the month of July, they had southeast and easterly winds, with variable, but in gencral pleasant weather, accompanied with occasional showers. In latitude 33° south, the wind came to the southward, then veered to the west, and conti nued mostly between that and north, till they got to 47° south: here it would blow for a few hours be tween the west and south-west, but never continued. In latitude 48° and 49°, the winds were light for 48 hours, in the south-east quarter, with a strong southerly current. On the 1st of August, they dou bled Cape Horn, at the distance of fifteen leagues, amid frequent showers of rain, snow, and hail. At

« PrécédentContinuer »