« PrécédentContinuer »
SOLD AT THE DEPOSITORIES ;
AND BY ALL BOOKSELLERS.
138. f. 43.
In the following adaptation of Chants to the Canticles and Psalter, in order to consult all tastes, Three Series of Chants are provided.
1. Series No. I. consists of the Ancient Chants of the Church. These may be sung
either in unison, with the short score as an organ accompaniment; or in harmony, the parts of which have been made as vocal as possible.
2. Series No. II. consists of Anglican Single Chants. In this Series, founded on the traditional use of Westminster, most of the older Chants were originally composed for the Psalms to which they are here affixed.
3. Series No. III. consists of Double Chants, including some few which may be considered somewhat florid, but are both popular and good of their kind.
4. To meet the requirement of a change of Chant where there is a change of subject, whether in the same Psalm or in two consecutive Psalms, each Series, where necessary, contains a succession of Chants, major or minor, adapted in key to follow each other.
5. Wherever a changeable Chant is employed for this purpose, the minor form-whether it be the one first used or not—is the one given,