« PrécédentContinuer »
THANKSGIVING AFTER HOLY COM
Instruction.-Do not be in any hurry to leave the Church. Try to gather up all that has been done for you. Recall the lesson of the Gospel, the assurance of the Absolution, the deep thoughts and feelings when you received the Body and Blood of the LORD, and pray that they may remain with you at least through the day.
Think also of what you have done: You have offered yourself and all you have, your work, your time, your thought to God. You have done this in union with the adorable Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Pray that you may not belie either your words or your actions, but that you may live and walk as one who is consecrated to the service of GOD.
And, above all, remember the counsel of the Church : Feed on Him by faith with thanksgiving." Make much of what you have received by meditation and acts of faith. Try and give ten minutes for contemplation on some word of the Gospel before you go to rest. Cultivate a thankful spirit. Realize unceasingly that GOD's favour and goodness are assured to you, and that you are an heir of everlasting life, and so "in everything give thanks."
Prayers that may be said after the Benediction.— 1. For obedience to the Gospel.—O GOD, Who hast sounded into our ears Thy divine and salutary oracles, illuminate the souls of us sinners to the comprehension of that which has been before read, so that we may not only be seen to be hearers of spiritual things but doers of good works, following after faith without guile, blameless life, conversation without charge of guilt, through Jesus Christ our LORD.
2. For obedience to the heavenly Vision of God's glory.— O LORD JESUS CHRIST, Who hast blessed us with heavenly
gifts, grant that the ears which have heard the voice of Thy songs may never hear the voice of clamor and dispute. Grant also that the eyes which have seen Thy great love may also behold Thy blessed hope; that the tongues which have sung the Sanctus may speak the truth. Grant that the feet which have walked in the Church may walk in the region of light; that the bodies which have tasted Thy living Body may be restored in newness of life. Who livest and reignest with the Father and the Holy Spirit, ever One GOD, world without end.
3. For strength for our journey.-O GRACIOUS and merciful Father, Who didst send Thine Angel and feed Thy servant Elijah with heavenly food, so that "he arose and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb, the Mount of GOD"; we praise and bless Thy Holy Name for that Thou hast fed Thy servants this day with the Bread of Life, and refreshed their fainting souls with the fruit of the Heavenly Vine. Lead us on our way, we pray Thee, in the strength of this Food, that we faint not nor be weary in well-doing. Give us the grace of perseverance, that we may travel safely through the wilderness, until we come to the Mount of GOD, the heavenly Zion; through Jesus Christ our LORD. Amen.
4. For a reverent care of that which we have received.O GOD, Who in this wonderful Sacrament hast left us a memorial of Thy Son's Passion; grant us, we beseech Thee, so to reverence the sacred mysteries of His Body and Blood, that we may ever receive within ourselves the fruits of His Redemption; Who livest and reignest with Thee and the Holy Spirit, ever One GOD, world without end. Amen.
Psalms, Hymns, and Acts of Praise.-The Magnificat; Te Deum; Nunc Dimittis; Psalms ciii., cl. Hymns, 7, 8.
AN OFFICE OF THANKSGIVING AFTER COMMUNION.
After the Old English Use.
Antiphon. Let us sing the Song of the Three Children, which they sang as they blessed the LORD in the furnace of fire.
Benedicite, omnia opera.
ALL ye Works of the LORD, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
Oye Angels of the LORD, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O ye Children of Men, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O let Israel bless the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O ye Priests of the LORD, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O ye Servants of the LORD, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O ye Spirits and Souls of the Righteous, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
O ye holy and humble Men of heart, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for
O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the LORD: praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
Glory be to the FATHER.
Ps. cl. Laudate Dominum.
PRAISE GOD in His holiness praise Him in the firmament of His power.
Praise Him in His noble acts: praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him in the sound of the trumpet: praise Him upon the lute and harp.
Praise Him in the cymbals and dances praise Him upon the Strings and pipe.
Praise Him upon the welltuned cymbals : praise Him upon the loud cymbals.
The Song of Symeon.
LORD, now lettest Thou Thy
servant depart in peace: according to Thy word.
For mine eyes have seen: Thy salvation,
Which Thou hast prepared: before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles and to be the glory of Thy people Israel.
Glory be to the FATHER.
Antiphon. Let us sing the song of the Three Children, which they sang as they blessed the LORD in the furnace of fire. LORD have mercy upon us. CHRIST have mercy upon us. LORD have mercy upon us.
Let us bless GOD, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Yea, let us praise Him, and magnify Him for ever.
Blessed art Thou, O LORD, in the highest. Glorious and ever worthy to be praised.
with Thy servant, O LORD. For in Thy sight shall no man living be justified.
Turn us again, Thou LORD GOD of Hosts. Show the light of Thy countenance, and we shall be whole.
O LORD, hear my prayer. And let my crying come unto Thee. The LORD be with you. And with thy spirit.
Let us pray.
GOD, Who for Thy Three
Servants didst assuage the flames of fire, mercifully grant that no unholy fires may inflame us Thy servants.
May the fire of the Holy Spirit, O LORD, cleanse our hearts and reins that we may serve Thee with a chaste body, and please Thee with a pure mind.
Prevent us, O LORD, in all our doings with Thy most gracious favour, and further us with Thy continual help, that in all our works begun, continued, and ended in Thee, we may glorify Thy Holy Name, and finally, by
The Holy Trinity bless and Thy mercy, obtain everlasting keep us. life. Through Jesus Christ our Enter not into judgement | LORD. Amen.
PSALMS OF PREPARATION BEFORE COMMUNION.
For Ordinary Use.
PSALM LXXXIV. Quam dilecta!
HOW amiable are Thy dwellings Thou LORD of hosts!
2. My soul hath a desire and longing to enter into the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living GOD.
3. Yea, the sparrow hath found her an house, and the swallow a nest where she may lay her young even Thy altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my GOD.
4. Blessed are they that dwell in Thy house they will be alway praising Thee.
5. Blessed is the man whose strength is in Thee in whose heart are Thy ways.
6. Who going through the vale of misery use it for a well and the pools are filled with water.
7. They will go from strength to strength and unto the GOD of gods appeareth every one of them in Sion.
8. O LORD GOD of hosts, hear my prayer: hearken, O GOD of Jacob.
9. Behold, O GOD our defender and look upon the face of Thine Anointed.
10. For one day in Thy courts is better than a thousand.
II. I had rather be a door-keeper in the house of my GOD than to dwell in the tents of ungodliness.
12. For the LORD GOD is a light and defence the LORD will give grace and worship, and no good thing shall He withhold from them that live a godly life.
13. O LORD GOD of hosts: blessed is the man that putteth his trust in Thee.