« PrécédentContinuer »
possesses sufficient of the Jewish aspect not always to escape the ridicule, with which the world in its most amiable mood, does not fail to treat the descendants of Israel; but on the whole, I should think that he had conciliated the kindly feelings of his comrades. May the Lord, the Holy Spirit, bless this child of Abraham, and make him a blessing in the ranks of a Gentile Christian army."
In the same communication, Mr. Cartwright gives the following account of the
Baptism of Six Israelites. “On Sunday evening, Feb. 1st., I baptized six adult Israelites, five of whom had been for some time under Mr. Ewald's instruction, and were prepared by him for baptism ; the sixth had received a very lengthened and careful course of instruction from a young friend and member of our congregation, whose labours in a private station in behalf of God's ancient people have been for some years most valuable and unwearied.
“ The occasion was a very solemn one; the congregation was large and deeply impressed ; and the attendance of Jews such as I think I have never before witnessed; inasmuch as they all remained to the close of the sermon, instead of leaving after the baptisms, as a portion of them generally do. I preached from Romans x. 12, “ There is no difference between the Jew and the Greek.” Many manifested great attention ; and I could only pray, as I believe many of the congregation did
most earnestly, that the Lord would open many hearts, and magnify His own word, as the power of God unto salvation, to the Jew first and also the Gentile."
“ YE ARE MY WITNESSES."
ISAIAH XLIV, 8.
“Ye are my Witnesses." Thus spake the Lord,
“Ye are my Witnesses.” Thus saith the Lord
“Ye are my Witnesses.” Thus saith the Lord,
Amen! Amen! hasten, O Lord, the time
London : Printed at the Operative Jewish Converts' Institution,
Palestine Place, Bethnal Green.
THE JEWISH ADVOCATE.
THE FUTURE PROSPECTS OF THE JEWS.
The next Prophecy in order of time, wherein we meet with any thing that evidently relates to the restoration of Israel, is that of JOEL, who an to prophecy to the kingdom of Judah about 800 years before Christ.
Joel ü. 18. “Then will the Lord be jealous for his land, and pity his people.
19. “Yea, the Lord will answer, and say unto his people, Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, ye shall be satisfied therewith : and I will no more make you a reproach among the heathen.
20. “But will remove far off from you the northern army, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the east sea, and his hinder part toward the utmost sea ; and his stink shall come up, because he hath done great things.
21. “Fear not, O land, be glad and rejoice; for the Lord will do great things.
25. “And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the canker-worm, and the caterpillar, and the palmer-worm, my great army which I sent among you.
26. “And ye shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you : and my people shall never be ashamed.
27. “And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the Lord your God, and none else : and my people shall never be ashamed.
Chap. iii. 1. “For behold in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem.
2. “I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people, and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land. 9. Proclaim
the Gentiles ; prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near, let them come up.
10. “Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears; let the weak say, , I am strong
Assemble yourselves, and come, ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down,' O Lord.
12. “Let the heathen be wakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the heathen round about.
13. “Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe; come, get ye down, for the press is full, the fats overflow, for their wickedness is great.
14. “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of