« PrécédentContinuer »
And to our wond'ring view reveal
5. Shew us the sinner's friend
6. 'Tis thine to cleanse the heart,
Hymn 116. c. M..
HOLY Ghost, eternal God,
Thou fill'st the soul through Jesu's blood,
2. Thou comfortest the heavy heart,
3. Thy sweet communion charms the soul, And gives true peace and joy,
Which satan's pow'r can ne'er control,
4. Let no false comfort lift us up To confidence that's vain :
Nor let their faith and courage droop,
5. Breathe comfort where distress abounds, O make our conscience clean;
And heal with balm from Jesu's wounds,
6. Vanquish our lusts; our pride remove; Take out the heart of stone';
Shew us the Father's boundless love,
Hymn 117. L. M.
The effusions of the Spirit.
GREAT was the day, the joy was great,
While on their heads the spirit came And sat like tongues of cloven flame. 2. What gifts, what miracles he gave ! And pow'r to kill, and pow'r to save, Furnish'd their tongues with wondrous words, Instead of shields and spears and swords. 3. Thus arm'd, he sent the champions forth, From east to west, from south to north: "Go, and assert your Saviour's cause; "Go, spread the myst❜ry of his cross.' 4. These weapons of the holy war,
Of what almighty force they are,
5. Nations, the learned and the rude Are by these heav'nly arms subdu'd; While satan rages at his loss,
And hates the doctrine of the cross.
6. Great king of grace! my heart subdue; I would be led in triumph too,
A willing captive to my Lord,
Hymn 118. с. м.
OME Holy Ghost, our hearts inspire,
2. Come Holy Ghost, for mov'd by thee Thy prophets wrote and spoke;
Unlock the truth (thyself the key!)
3. Water with heav'nly dew thy word,
Attend it with thy presence, Lord,
Hymn 119. P. M.
TERNAL spirit, source of light
Our dull, our frozen hearts inspire:
Or lie benumb'd and stupid still:
We would not quench the heavenly fire; Our hearts as fuel we prepare,
Though in the flame we should expire:
Kindle in our cold hearts below!
Hymn 120. c. M.
Tay all sustaining pow'r we prove,
2. Lord Jesus, thine we wish to be, Our sacrifice receive;
Made, and preserv'd, and sav'd by thee, To thee ourselves we give.
3. Come, Holy Ghost, the Saviour's love
So shall we ever live, and move,
Hymn 121. L. M.
UR heav'nly Father is not known
2. Great God! how dreadful was the name,
3. O love, no human tongue can tell! O love divine unsearchable ! The Father gave his only Son
To bleed and die for slaves undone !
4. Can any ill distress my heart,
Since God with his own son did part? What'er I want can't be deny'd,
Since Christ for me was crucify'd.
Hymn 122. L. M. 1. BLESS'D be the Father and his love,
Rivers of endless joys above,
And rills of comfort here below.
2. Glory to thee, great son of God,
From whose dear wounded body rolls
And into boundless Glory flow.
Hymn 123. c. M.
to God the Father's name,
Who from our sinful race Chose out his fav'rites to proclaim The honours of his grace.
2. Glory to God the Son be paid,
3. Glory to God the Spirit give,
4. Glory to God that reigns above,